The RNC is a high-fidelity, stereo compressor intended to provide dynamic range control with minimal side effects. The RNC achieves such high performance at a low cost by using evolutionary advances in digital technology, coupled with the best analog has to offer. Using digital controls and an all-analog signal path, the RNC offers accurate, precise controls and a clean tonal character.
The RNC provides two modes of operation: normal and SuperNice. Normal mode allows the RNC to be used for everyday compression tasks, like punchy snare drums or bass guitars, and is great for everything from gentle compression to serious squashing. SuperNice mode provides near-invisible signal compression for sensitive material where compression artifacts are less desirable (like vocals, acoustic guitar or the program bus).
How It Sounds
In a word: transparent. The RNC yields clean, airy compression with few artifacts and little high end loss, even at massive gain reduction. This amazing performance is why many professionals are calling the RNC one of the best sounding compressors for under $2000 (and with a MSRP of $199US , it's way under two grand).
What is SuperNice Mode?
A clever technique to reduce compression artifacts is the use of multiple compressors cascaded serially. In this way, none of the individual compressors has to work quite as hard as they would if there was only one compressor doing the same amount of gain reduction. If things are properly adjusted, you can accomplish a good level of signal control without the usual "choked" sound of the typical lone compressor. By the way, this technique works well with almost any type/brand of compressor(s). Try it with the other compressors in your rack!
There are downsides to using multiple compressors in your rack to achieve this artifact reduction:
- Lotsa Compressors: For each source, you have to dedicate a number of compressors. Most of us already don't have enough compressors to go around, let alone dedicating 2 or 3 (or more) compressors per track.
- Lotsa Experience/Patience Required: It takes a lot of experience with compressors to know how to adjust each compressor's settings to achieve the end result. It's already difficult for many of us to set up a single compressor, much less multiple units for just one source.
- Lotsa Noise: Many compressors, particularly some of the "vintage" ones, don't have very good noise floors. This becomes even more problematic when you want to cascade multiple units.
Inside the RNC
FMR Audio considered both the upside and downside while developing the RNC's cascaded-compressor mode, called the SuperNice mode. SuperNice mode provides three compressors in series, giving you the advantages of multiple-unit compression without the listed problems:
The Lotsa Compressors problem: By creating special sidechain electronics, FMR is able to triple the compressors in one box without tripling the cost or space. And think about how much you'll save on patch cables!
The Lotsa Experience/Patience Required problem: Even though it still takes some time to get used to the novel aspects of SuperNice mode, it takes much less time than trying to dial up 5 parameters on 3 separate compressors! To some extent, FMR has spent the time for you by testing, trying and tweaking the RNC SuperNice mode on a multitude of different sources over a long period of time with many different music styles and recording engineers. The result is the current balance of the 3 SuperNice mode compressors in the RNC.
The Lotsa Noise problem: Again, due to the special sidechain electronics, FMR has been able to triple the compressors in one box without tripling the noise.
The best part is: it works great! Spend some time working with SuperNice mode and you'll find yourself using it more and more for vocals, clean guitars, or your program bus.
FMR Audio RNC "Really Nice Compressor" Specifications
- Size: 1/3 x 1 EIA rack unit
- Connectors: 1/4" Unbalanced I/O (TS, or TRS for console inserts); L/R in & out, TRS sidechain
- Input Z/Output Z: 10kΩ/100Ω
- Operating Level: 0.775 Vrms (0 dBu) nominal
- Noise: Less than -90dBu over 20-20kHz
- Frequency response: 10 - 100k Hz ±0.5dB @ 0dBu
- Clip point: +22.5dBu @ 3% THD, 1kHz, greater than 2kOhm load
- Distortion: less than 0.1%, no gain reduction @ 1 kHz, 0dBu less than 0.5%, 6 dB G.R. @ 1kHz, 6:1, 6.0msec attack, 0.5 sec release, 0dB gain, 0dBu
- Threshold range: -40dBu to +20dBu
- Ratio range: 1:1 to 25:1
- Attack range: 0.2 msec to 200msec for 100% correction with <15dB over threshold input signal
- Release range: .05 sec to 5.0 sec for 100% recovery with 15dB G.R.
- Output trim range: ±15dB
- AC Power: Wall transformer, 9VAC @ 500mA, 2.1mm jack
- Dimensions: 5.5" x 5.5" x 1.6"
- Weight: 2 lbs
Controls and Displays
- Rotary: Threshold, Ratio, Attack Time, Release Time, Output Level
- Switches: Bypass, Mode Select
- Meter: 8-segment LED Gain Reduction, 0-20 dB
- Normal: Provides fast attack/release, accurate compression
- Super Nice: Layered compressors, reduces compression artifacts
FMR Audio RNC "Really Nice Compressor" Applications
MAXIMUM 2MIX DENSITY - This one is great for stereo mixes. By levelling out your mixes, you'll help them translate well to cassette, MiniDisc, or any other format you may be using. To start, try it on a CD you like, or a mix you're familiar with. You'll need 2 RNCs.
- With RNC #2 bypassed, set RNC #1 as follows:
- Super Nice Mode
- Ratio = 25:1
- Attack and Release between 12:00 and 2:00
- Threshold so that you're getting about 6-8 dB of compression
- An appropriate amount of makeup gain; around 6-8 dB is a good start.
- Un-bypass RNC #2 and set it:
- Normal mode
- Ratio = 25:1
- Fastest attack and release
- Threshold such that you're getting about 2-4 dB of peak control
- MEGASQUASH - If you're one of those people who can't turn your knobs too far, this one's for you. Try it on a drum submix, or drum loops, for some sick effects. It uses one RNC on a mono signal.
- Start with the ratio at around 10:1 or more, and the attack and release set around 9:00.
- Run your source signal into the left input of the RNC.
- Run the left output into the right input (yes, you read that right). Monitor the right output.
- Now start playing with the controls as usual ... whoa, megasquash!
- TREMOLO - Yes, you read that right ... the RNC makes a great tremolo effect, especially when you want the tremolo frequency to be in perfect time with a song's tempo. You need one RNC and a MIDI sequencer or drum machine or metronome for this one.
- Connect the input and output signals to the RNC as usual.
- Set the RNC as follows:
- Normal mode
- Ratio = 10:1
- Fastest attack and release
- Threshold at around 12:00
- Hook up the output of your sampler/drum machine/metronome to the RNC's sidechain input.
- Program an 8th note pattern with rimshots or hihats on the drum machine and loop it.
- Tweak the threshold so you get the amount of tremolo "depth" that you want.
- Try playing with the attack and release knobs for cool effects.
To ensure 100% customer satisfaction , we offer a 14 day return policy and price matching. Our knowledgeable staff are here to help with queries you may have about the , prices in Singapore , stock availability etc. We will help you to select from the best products available. Contact our experts to find the best product to suit your style or request more information about the .
- Buy products with confidence.
- We ship to all major regions in Singapore.
- Return to base repair or replacement (1 Year return to base).
- Please contact us for detailed information about our terms , conditions and warranty.
AudioBuy Singapore ship all stocked orders Monday to Friday. All online orders are carefully packed and insured before dispatch. Our customers are very important to us and we will work with you until final delivery to ensure you're completely satisfied.
|Condition||Sealed / New|
|Delivered Price||Shown at checkout|
Look no further than AudioBuy when buying gear online in Singapore , always at the lowest price with free shipping to all locations serviced by FEDEX. Please contact us for stock availability , price quotes , expedited shipping quotes or to arrange a return of your (for the full purchase price of ). You may return most new, unopened items within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. AudioBuy Singapore are very proud to carry a large selection of gear. You demand quality, reliability, and innovative design from your gear, and we're here to help you find exactly what you need. We're glad to answer any questions you have and you can always depend on AudioBuy Singapore to give you the best possible value on musical instruments and accessories with responsive customer service.
What is the process after I checkout?
Following checkout your order number will be generated and stock availability confirmed before a Paypal invoice is emailed to your registered email address. If your order is not in stock and cannot be shipped within 10 business days then your order will be cancelled. If your order is in stock or can be ordered from the manufacturer for FEDEX dispatch within 10 business days then we will email a Paypal invoice to complete payment.
Following checkout your Paypal invoice will be emailed to you within 24 hours if your entire is in stock or readily available with the manufacturer (Monday-Friday). You will receive a Paypal invoice (request for payment) from AudioBuy or from one of our shipping partners.
When do I pay?
You do not pay at checkout. If your order is in stock or readily available from the manufacturer then a Paypal payment request (invoice) will be emailed to you from AudioBuy or from one of our shipping partners. This is to ensure that we do not collect payment for orders which cannot be promptly dispatched and delivered.
Will my shipped order be delivered safely and securely?
All paid orders are shipped with FEDEX and are marked as "fragile" to ensure that your ordered items are securely and safely handled prior to final delivery. All orders are dispatched with protective casing and packaging to further protect your ordered item(s) during transit to your delivery address. All orders require signature upon delivery to ensure that your order is delivered to the correct recipient at the correct address , apartment number etc. If you are unavailable at the time of delivery your order will be held at the local FEDEX center and a calling card left at your delivery address to organise re-delivery or pickup.
How do I check for stock levels?
Email "firstname.lastname@example.org" to enquire about current stock levels for the . We aim to stock popular items at all times and are able to quickly order in products if they are currently not in stock. In the event of product backorder or product discontinuation your order will be cancelled and a payment request (Paypal) will not be processed.
What are our hours of operation?
Stock inventory and order related enquiries are monitored and responded to everyday excluding major public holidays (Monday-Sunday). Orders are physically shipped during standard FEDEX hours (Monday-Friday , excluding major public holidays). Paypal invoices for order processing are issued Monday-Friday excluding major public holidays.
When will my order be delivered?
Following Paypal payment your order will be FEDEX dispatched within 1-2 business days if your order is in stock. If your order is only in stock with the manufacturer then we will require up to 10 business days to FEDEX dispatch your order. After your order has been shipped we will email your FEDEX tracking number to the email address you provided during checkout / account sign-up. The average FEDEX transit time is 3-5 business days to most international locations.
Can you price match with another retailer?
Yes. Contact "email@example.com" with the product name and the competing website's URL. Our total price including FEDEX delivery is currently . When comparing prices with other retailers be aware that their prices may not include international or domestic FEDEX shipping costs.