What made the KU3A special? It combined the smooth ribbon sound of a 44 with a unidirectional pattern, a wide sweet spot and less proximity bass boost. It expanded an engineer’s range of placement choices and became a standard at film studios around the world.
Although condenser mics became the new standard by the end of the 1960s, ribbon mics are still appreciated today by experienced music recording engineers. However the KU3A is a rare microphone, a collector’s item, and few studios or rental houses own them. Opportunities to work with a good KU3A are limited.
We are proud to expand your opportunities with the AEA KU4 featuring an RCA ribbon, interchangeable KU3A parts and consistent performance.
AEA KU4 Unidirectional Ribbon Microphone Features
- Contemporary realization of the RCA KU3A classic
- Supercardioid pattern for excellent rear rejection
- Reduced proximity effect
- Smooth, high-bandwidth frequency response
- Authentic New Old Stock RCA ribbon material
- High-quality anodized & nickel-plated finish
- Custom AEA transformer, neodymium magnets
- Consistent Quality
- Field-tech replaceable ribbon assembly
- Hand-crafted in Pasadena, California
The KU4’s suppressed rear lobe is useful when the back of a figure-of-eight would pick up undesirable sounds. The KU4’s reduced proximity bass boost facilitates closer micing and its low-tuned ribbon delivers solid, undistorted bass. These characteristics make the KU4 well suited for modern studio production.
Its lightly-tensioned, ultra low mass ribbon has a frequency response out to 40 kHz and fast, accurate transients. There is no upper midrange ringing common to large condenser mics. The KU4’s ribbon is well protected and its field-tech replaceable pole piece and ribbon assembly is a real convenience if an accident occurs.
The KU4 is your ticket to discovering why the KU3A has been part of high-end studio life for over 60 years. AEA is honored to play a part in its history, and invites you to listen to the KU4 and claim your part of this legacy.
AEA KU4 Unidirectional Ribbon Microphone Specifications
Operating Principle: Velocity microphone
- Frequency Response: Below 30 Hz to above 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 140 + dB SPL above 200Hz for 1% third harmonic
- Output Sensitivity: 2.8 mV/Pa into unloaded circuit
- Output Impedance: 300 Ω nominal
- Recommended Load: 1.2 KΩ or greater
- Phantom power: Not required or recommended
- Polarity: Pin 2 high for positive pressure at the front of the microphone.
- Connector: XLR-3M wired to a 1.5 meter captive cable
- Polar Pattern: Supercardioid
- Relative Output at 180° (dB): -12
- Angle of Maximum Rejection: 135°
- Ribbon Thickness: 1.8 microns ( .0000018 meter ) of pure aluminum
- Ribbon Width: 0.082” (2.1 mm)
- Ribbon Length: 1.25” (28.6 mm)
- Included: Custom storage/shipping case, stand adapter, manual and
- attached 1.5 meter microphone cable
All payments are processed securely by Paypal , offering both buyer and seller protection. Online orders are confirmed in stock and ready to ship before Paypal payment is completed. orders ship FEDEX and will require signature upon delivery. Orders are typically delivered within 4-5 business days following dispatch. Fedex tracking details are provided for all orders.
All imported musical instruments into Singapore are not subject to duty. Generally, all goods imported into Singapore are subject to GST whether they are dutiable or not. GST is calculated on the CIF value plus the duty payable (if any) at the point of importation (Based on the total price of ). Products of a total value not exceeding SGD 400 on the CIF value may be imported without payment of duty and/or GST.
Customs import tax/duty rate chart based on previous imports into Singapore (3%)
|Order Value||Tax (Approx)||Delivered|
|SGD S$200||SGD S$0||SGD S$0|
|SGD S$500||SGD S$15||SGD S$515|
|SGD S$1000||SGD S$30||SGD S$1030|
|SGD S$3000||SGD S$90||SGD S$3090|
|SGD S$6000||SGD S$180||SGD S$6180|
- Buy products with confidence.
- We ship to all major regions in Singapore.
- Return to base repair or replacement (1 Year return to base).
- Please contact us for detailed information about our terms , conditions and warranty.
AudioBuy Singapore ship all stocked orders Monday to Friday. All online orders are carefully packed and insured before dispatch. Our customers are very important to us and we will work with you until final delivery to ensure you're completely satisfied.
|Condition||Sealed / New|
|Delivered Price||Shown at checkout|
Look no further than AudioBuy when buying gear online in Singapore , always at the lowest price with free shipping to all locations serviced by FEDEX. Please contact us for stock availability , price quotes , expedited shipping quotes or to arrange a return of your (for the full purchase price of ). You may return most new, unopened items within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. AudioBuy Singapore are very proud to carry a large selection of gear. You demand quality, reliability, and innovative design from your gear, and we're here to help you find exactly what you need. We're glad to answer any questions you have and you can always depend on AudioBuy Singapore to give you the best possible value on musical instruments and accessories with responsive customer service.